The World Beyond My Eyes

The World Beyond My Eyes
Destiny is what you make it

Thursday, August 21, 2014

This is me...

From so much in my past I have survived
I stand before the world a real strong, gay, black man
I know what it’s like to have a large family, a love of your life, and fun all the time
I know what it’s like to have that all broken apart
Watching the life you once cherished being shattered
People that you love and cherish are no longer with you
The love of your life now gone and you’re standing there all alone
A family that once was large has now been wrecked with loss and tragedy
It is no way to prepare for so much in such a short period of time
No matter how old you are, when you bury both of your parents you feel like an orphan
Being in love for 9 ½ years only to come home to find him gone…lifeless
You feel helpless, hopeless, angry, terrified, and lost
No words of comfort can aid you
No ideas of fun can distract you
You are in a dark place
The darkness becomes all you know
Then there is a bit of light
You fall in love again only to have that love fall apart
You end up alone once again
The heart becomes immune to happiness, excitement, joy, and the love of family
For several years I existed but didn’t live
I stood with people but felt invisible
Being surrounded by laughter I smiled but didn’t feel joy
Being told tragic news felt normal and uneventful
Now I feel a change in the wind
I see the light at the end of a very dark and narrow tunnel
I am surrounded by the same family with love and promise
My heart has healed from a new love and a new future
My pain has dripped from my body like sweat in the Atlanta heat
I now know why the caged bird sings and I have songs for the world to hear
Know that your journey never stops
Know that each moment you experience life and survive; it only strengthens your soul armor and gives you the courage to keep fighting through
Once you grasp the cycle of life never take for granted the many difficulties you have yet to face
Never give in but always strive to win

No comments:

Post a Comment